Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Travellers Curse

TRAVELLERS CURSE


The math that I'm now learning, is playing dirty tricks

For every place I visit, I gain another six
I'm supposed to be a teacher, who at least got the gist
So how can take aways, be adding to my list?
It makes me sad and angry that I wont see the lot
It feels really hopeless, but I'm yet to try some pot!
Maybe that'll solve the problem, but then again probably not

Places left unconquered, I haven’t got the time
Beauty undiscovered, mountains left to climb
Why do I need more when I've already had enough
I'd seem like a big whinger if I said this life is tough

Here I am on a perfect day,
In a perfect town, with the sun on display
I can't sit still, not even now
I need a pill, to show me how
Snap out of it enjoy yourself
Some things must stay up on that shelf
Unread, untouched, untried, unheard
Untasted, opened, un's an ugly word

Discontentment has its hold
And will still be there when I get old
Has this new foe been identified
Or hidden well in my mind, while I lied?
Has it sprung up like a plant from the ground
Or have I opened my ears to this tragic new sound?

I am not alone in this mysterious thing
In the Bible I know of a discontent king
Finding contentment was his great quest
What did he discover and what did he test?
Four hundred wives and a gold plated vest
A throne and a kingdom, and now here’s the rest

Wining and dining and reading and study
A mind to be used that was clear and unmuddy
Riches untold and armies for use
Accomplishments piled right up to the roof

He said, "I spy with my little eye,
Luxuries that I wont deny,
I'll grab it all, and then grab some more
Even if this means exploiting the poor"

And what did he see when he took a look back?
Was he content, or did he still lack?

After this quest from a man who knows well
Meaningless, meaningless, life feels like hell
Better to die in the womb really smallThen to ever see light or to ever grow tall
This comes from a king, this guy had it all

In the end life falls hopelessly short
Of what most of us wish from it, hope that it ought
Ecclesiastes is the name of the book
Of this king and his story, go take a look



Will we ever find what we're looking for?
Certainly not if its 'more, more, more'


PART II

Still discontentment has its place
Promoting forgiveness and love and grace
Not satisfied with the world and its wrongs
Or half baked art or terrible songs
Yes we want more this inspires inventions
Most that exploit our discontent intentions
Products we don't need flood all the nations
Nintendo's and Xbox's and even Playstation's

Maybe one day discontent will be no more
When everyone gets what they've been looking for?




But when it all boils down, when it all gets tough
We're all looking for the very same stuff.


We like to judge people and things that they do
In the same situation that could well be you.
Judgement left to the one who knows best
Who sees all of a life, every trial and test.



For those labelled "sinners " understanding and grace
Those smug and secure, get mud on their face.




Some may soon grumble and others may shake
But truths a great road, one that I often take
Sorry to do this and point these things out
Turning thoughts on their heads and creating some doubt
Here’s are some things I’ve been thinking about.




So look deeply now, it gets quite depressing
A girl named 'appearance' is slowly undressing.


One poses for photos another one sings
Recognition for both, and the praise that it brings
Others try and we call them disgraces
Looking for love in prostitutes faces
On the flip side of this is a girl called 'honey’
With three kids at home, and a bank with no money



A hard working woman on a train takes her chances
Avoiding the various judgemental glances
Her child is loud that’s a well known fact
But she tries her best to show her how to act
Embarrassed each time her child opens their mouth
She cries in her seat as the train travels South.




Another man seated a few rows back
Is chewing some gum while the train eats the track
A young man adjacent hears this ugly sound
And thinks of an old man that he'd like to pound
“That selfish rude man is ruining my ride”
On the train he sits, arms crossed, brewing inside.
But when the man gets up to go to the bin
He sees why the man shovels chewing gum in
His breath smells like the death of a thousand sick brothers
All along this kind man has been thinking of others.




Seek first to understand, and then be understood
This advice I try to follow but not as best I could





Your friend cares and listens, becomes your new hero
Their sense of self worth now rising from zero
Another helps fix things, that's all it would seem
But they're getting a fix for their own self esteem.



There's sport and there’s music a chance to show pony
For others the tactic’s being awfully phoney
Yet both just want friends, and both really lonely
Time spent on computers playing RPG's
Wasting hours on end with absolute ease
A getaway from the realities of life
Where they're more in control of the battles and strife


Those 'good people' do something like 'shave for a cure’
My head the spotlight, attention the lure
Maybe even this poem, perhaps written for applause
Was that its real reason, was this its true cause?


Some move to the bottle, to take out life’s sting
And some jump off buildings for the very same thing
"God is there a way out, a way that is best?"
¨Come all who are weary and I will give you rest"


I swear I wont get caught up!

Here’s a funny poem, I hope you can read it
I fear those who wont are the ones who most need it
For some of you this poem may be a classic hit
Others will think that this poem is really sh!t
Are you caught up in words is the point, thats it?
.......................
..........................
....think time....
........................
.........................
I know I still am, I found that last line hard to write
That 'bad word' that has obviously given some a fright
I'm still caught up by giving justification
If I wasn't caught up this wouldn't need an explanation

Would it make any difference if i wrote it like **** this?
Though now invisible your brain doesn't miss
What if I tried and replaced the word
With something more tasteful like 'crap' or like 'turd'?

No more explaining or this poems defeated
It's meaning will vanish, it's point being cheated
The point is the point, that’s the point of this rhyme
A pointy, point indeed that may make sense in time

Here are two stories to show where I'm aiming
They should help you see where I stand, what I'm claiming

Derek and I, good friends used to express
The words "I hate you" when we were impressed
'Nice shot, I'm jealous, good job it meant too
This meaning was known, to only a few.

Along came a girl who heard this fine saying
"Not such Christian virtues you boys are displaying"
Misunderstood, we explained what we meant
The words real intentions, the message being sent.

Another time with my great sister Cat
Who I used to joke was terribly fat
At a Christmas party was the time and the place
With family all gathered, cake stuffed in their face
I yelled some mean words that we both understood
And a cousin was shocked that I said what I would
They thought the next family domestic was due
But Cath knew what I meant and I know that she knew.

Now the most hurtful words that I ever remember
Were words in a sentence, perhaps in Novemeber
"We will win tonight" the 'harmless' words uttered
But one boy left that stadium totally gutted.

See, in a much bigger story were spoken these words
Which give them their meaning and here’s what I heard.
"Your useless, your dumb, we hate you go home,
stay off our team and leave us alone"

The sting from that blow, that mighty king hit
Produced words from me, words like "I quit"
Basketball, a game I love playing
Thank goodness mum saw past the words I was saying
Luckily this mum listened and heard
The real true meaning behind that last word

So watch what you speak and guard what you say
You could shatter a dream, or ruin a day
Some words that are 'right' tear down and destroy
Some 'wrong' words may build up, encourage, bring joy
Shit hot, bloody brilliant, you're f****** awesome with surds
I still have my limits with these things we call words.

1 comment:

Suz said...

Well done Andrew! Thanks for sharing and keeping in touch!
Coach M. (Susan)